South Africans have a lot of sites to choose from when it comes to sports betting. When selecting which sports betting sites to play at, there are a lot of factors to consider — however, arguably the #1 thing to look at is the bonuses.
These sports betting bonuses can give you a free bet, extra cash, or even a no deposit bonus. Though while some of these bonuses are available to all who sign up, others are reserved strictly for users who have the correct promo codes.
Finding these bonus codes can be a challenge. But don’t sweat it. Our expert team regularly scours the internet for the best sports betting promo codes in South Africa, and with their help, we’ve created this guide to give you a comprehensive list of the best South African sports betting bonuses.
Compare & Find the Best Betting Bonuses in South Africa
For a side-by-side comparison of the top 10 South Africa sports betting bonuses, check out the table below.
|100% First Deposit Match Up To R1,000 in Risk Free Bet
|-Up To 300% Bonus On Multibets
|100% First Deposit Match Up To R1,000 + 100 Free Spins
|-Three Part Welcome Bonus
-Cashback If One Leg Fails On 5+ Leg Multibet
|No Deposit Bonus Free R50 + 25 Free Spins
|-No Deposit Bonus + First Deposit Bonus
-Great Reload Bonuses
|No Deposit Bonus Free R25 +50 Free Spins
|-Lots Of Giveaways
-R50 Referral Bonus
|100% First Deposit Match Up To R5,000
|-Heavy Focus On Soccer
-10% of Losses Back On Sunday
|No Deposit Bonus R50 + 100 Free Spins
|-Three Part Welcome Package
|100% First Deposit Bonus Up To R3,000
|-10% Cashback On Losses Fri-Sun
|No Deposit R25 Free Bet
|-Good F1 Promotions
|100-150% First Deposit Match Up To R5,000 in Risk Free Bet
|-Lots Of High Roller Promotions
|100% First Deposit Match Up To R2,000 + 50 Free Spins
|-Weekly 20% Deposit Bonus
Top 5 Betting Bonuses at South Africa Sportsbooks This Month
If you are a resident of South Africa, you can consider yourself very lucky when it comes to sports betting bonuses, as you have so many great options to choose from. However, after polling our team, we found that five stood above the rest.
🥇#1 Betway — 100% First Deposit Match Up To R1,000 in Risk Free Bets
The globally renowned Betway has been dominating the sporting betting market for a long time thanks to its ease of use and quick withdrawals. But don’t let that trick you into thinking they’re resting on their laurels. Because on top of being an all-around great sports betting site for their existing customer base, they also have a great welcome bonus for new customers.
With this welcome bonus, when you make your first deposit, Betway will credit to your account a free bet of 100% of the value of your deposit up to R1,000.
No promo code is required for this welcome bonus. Nor do you need a promo code for any of their other great bonuses like their Win Boost bonus, which boosts multibet winnings by up to 300%. Instead, all you need to do to be eligible for any of these bonuses is to sign up to Betway by using our links.
🥈#2 Sportingbet — 100% First Deposit Match Up To R1,000 + 100 Free Spins
Sportingbet is one of the most exciting sports betting sites in South Africa, and part of the reason for this is their new customers welcome package.
With this bonus, you get bonus cash on each of your first three deposits, plus free spins. The first deposit bonus is easily the best as it will match your first deposit dollar for dollar up to R1,000, plus give you 100 free spins. Your next two deposits will also get 100 free spins. However, while the deposit bonuses stay at a maximum value of R1,000, they will only match you 50% for your second deposit and 75% for your third deposit.
If you want to claim Sportingbet’s welcome bonuses, there’s no promo code required. All you need to do is sign up via our exclusive links.
🥉#3 Easybet — No Deposit Bonus Free R50 + 25 Free Spins
With Easybet, you can get started betting on sports 100% for free with their no deposit bonus of R50 + 25 free spins.
It might sound too good to be true, but by signing up through our links, that’s exactly what you’ll get. And the bonuses don’t stop there either. Easybet also offers a 100% bet match on your first bet for a max value of R500. No bonus codes required.
Plus, if you’re a sports bettor who likes to place wagers via their Android phone, then another reason to join up with Easybet is that they have in my opinion the very best sports betting app in South Africa.
🎖️#4 Hollywoodbets — No Deposit Bonus Free R25 +50 Free Spins
Perhaps the biggest sports betting site to have come from South Africa, Hollywoodbets may now be serving customers from many different countries across the globe including the UK, but they certainly haven’t forgotten where they started. And for residents of South Africa, they’ve got a great welcome bonus.
For first-time customers, you can look forward to an R25 sign-up bonus + 50 free spins on their Habanero slot machines. Hollywoodbets is an ideal sports betting site for those on a budget as their no deposit bonus pairs nicely with their other promotions which can award players up to R1,000,000 just for placing a bet as low as R5.
No promo codes are needed at Hollywoodbets. Just sign up via our links to claim your free R25 bonus and get started today.
🏅#5 Betfred — 100% First Deposit Match Up To R5,000
While they may be 5th on this list, don’t let that fool you into thinking that Betfred is anything other than a lekker sports betting site. For high rollers especially, Betfred has one of the best welcome bonuses. A 100% deposit match with a maximum bonus of R5,000.
The Betfred welcome bonus is one of the simplest to understand — for every Rand you deposit, Betfred will match it in bonus money.
Other bonuses at Betfred tend to be marketed chiefly towards soccer, so if you mainly bet on other sports like rugby, they might not be the one for you. Personally, I love soccer — and I’m a huge fan of the daily bet boosts offered on all of the biggest games of the day.
Again, no promo code is required for this bonus, and all you need to do is sign up via our links to claim your 100% first deposit match.
How To Find The Best Free Bets & Bonuses at South Africa Bookmakers
Finding good South Africa promo codes for sports betting is easy. Finding the very best bonuses however, can be a little more challenging. Though for that reason, our team has come up with five essential points you should look at when considering a sports betting bonus.
- Is the sports betting site licensed? — Proper licensing is the only way to ensure that the site you’re playing at is legitimate. Without it, you’re liable to end up getting scammed. That’s why before you accept any welcome bonus, you should always ensure the site you’re playing at is licensed to operate in South Africa.
- What are the terms & conditions for the bonus? — While the face value of a promotion can seem like the most important thing, the fine print is often just as important. Make sure the playthrough requirements are fair and don’t require you to make bets with ridiculous minimum odds, and that the validity period gives you enough time to play through your bonus.
- What markets are covered? — South Africa is a nation of many sports. While I prefer soccer, other members of our team prefer rugby and cricket. There’s no correct favourite sport. That’s why we always make sure that a bonus applies to multiple different sports.
- Is the site easy to use? — It’s sometimes overlooked, but how easy online betting sites are to use contributes massively to user experience. Before depositing at a site, navigate through it and make sure the site is easy to use. And if you’re a mobile sports bettor, make sure to try out the mobile site or app as well.
- What does the South African sports betting community think of it? — When in doubt, it’s a good idea to see what other South Africans think of a site. Chances are if the reviews are all good, then the bonus will also be good.
How To Get SA Betting Bonuses
Once you get the hang of it, claiming a sports bet bonus is easy. Though in case you’re new to the game, we’ll take you step by step through the process of getting your first sports betting bonus.
- Using our links, navigate to the betting site that hosts the bonus that you want to claim.
- Click on the ‘Sign Up’ button.
- Fill in a few pages with some basic info, including your full name as it appears on your photo ID, mobile number, email address, and physical address.
- At this step, you can also enter in your promo code if you have one. Though if your bonus doesn’t require one, just leave this field blank.
- Once your account is created, a registration email will be sent to you. Click the link inside, and you’re in.
- If you signed up for a South Africa, no deposit bonus, the bonus will be immediately credited to your account. Otherwise though, you’ll need to make a deposit by heading to the cashier section and choosing the deposit option.
- Most deposit methods will be eligible for a welcome bonus. So choose whichever one you prefer and then complete the depositing process. Once you do, you’ll either receive your free bet or deposit match based on who you signed up with.
- You’re now ready to head to the sports section and make your first bet.
Do All South Africa Sportsbooks Require A Promo Code?
For new users, sports betting bonus codes might seem like the key to getting the biggest and best bonuses — however, the truth is that most bonuses do not require any sort of promo code to claim them.
Instead, many of the best welcome bonuses come pre-ingrained in special affiliate links like the ones that we provide on this page, or are otherwise just available to the public. Either way, it means the same thing for users and you can still claim the best South African sports betting welcome bonuses just by following our links and then leaving the promo code section empty when completing the sign-up process.
Popular Sports Betting Promo Codes in South Africa: New & Existing Players
If you’re new to sports betting in South Africa, then all the different types of bonuses might be a little overwhelming. We get it. So many of them all use similar terms, yet they all mean something different and working out what these differences can be the key to separating great bonuses from just good bonuses. Though for that very reason, we’ve included this section where we’ll be giving a breakdown of all the most common types of welcome bonuses and existing player bonuses available at South African sports betting sites.
A deposit match is probably the simplest type of bonus to understand. With this bonus, when you make a deposit, the betting site will match your deposit with bonus cash. So in the case of the Betfred 100% first deposit match bonus — if you make a deposit of R1,000, Betfred will also give you R1,000 in bonus funds to bring your total balance up to R2,000.
Risk Free Bet
A risk free bet, sometimes referred to plainly as free bets or bonus bets, is a type of bonus that’s awarded in a similar way to a deposit match. Though rather than getting raw bonus funds, you get a bonus bet — usually for a fixed value. Betway uses this for their welcome bonus, so if you deposit R1,000, you’ll get a R1,000 coupon for a free bet which you can then use to bet on any game so long as it meets the terms & conditions.
No Deposit Bonus
No deposit bonuses are among the rarest and most desired sports betting bonuses. With these bonuses, no deposit is required to claim them, and you simply get the bonus funds straight into your account. Because these bonuses essentially give you free cash, they’re usually pretty small. However, they’re great for players on a tight budget, as with a bonus like the Easybet welcome bonus, you get a free R50 just by signing up.
With an odds boost, you get to pump up the odds on a particular bet. Sometimes, you’ll be able to choose which bet you want to boost the odds for yourself, but usually, these odds boosted games will be selected by the sports betting site themselves to further promote a popular event.
Multibet bonuses are similar to odds boosts except much more extreme. Whereas odds boosts typically will only raise the odds by ~5% — it’s not uncommon for some multibet bonuses to get as high as 400% boost. In truth, it’s next to impossible to claim the max value of these bonuses as you’d need to correctly call a 40+ leg multibet — though even when you only have a few legs, you can still sometimes claim a respectable 25% boost. And the good news is that while multibets are pretty hard to get, they usually also tie into the following type of bonus.
With cashback, you get a certain percentage of your losing stakes returned to you. Cashback is a type of VIP bonus, and so what percentage of your losing stakes you get returned to you will typically depend on how much you’ve been betting at a particular sports betting site.
The final bonus we’ll cover is the referral bonus. With this bonus, you get free cash when you refer people to the South African betting sites that you’re playing at. The way this works is that once you have an active account, you’ll be able to head to your account page and select the refer a friend option to generate a unique affiliate link. Hand this link out to friends, and whenever someone signs up with it, you’ll both get a bonus.
What Bonus Type is the Best for Sports Betting?
With so many different types of bonuses available at the best betting sites, the inevitable question becomes, which is best? In truth, there’s no one-size-fits-all answer. Of course a no deposit welcome bonus is immediately a top contender, giving South Africa free bets to all new users. But these are also the smallest bonuses.
Other players love a risk-free bet, as it gives you a licence to make a bet much bigger than you usually would, knowing that even if your bet loses, you won’t lose any money. Meanwhile, most experienced players know that odds boosts can make all the difference between a breakeven bet and a profitable bet. And of course with a referral bonus, you have a potential unending stream of money coming your way so long as people keep signing up with your link.
The truth is, all bonuses have their positives. So if you want to find which bonus will be best for you, consider what is important to you in a bonus and see which of the popular bonus types best matches what you’re looking for. Personally, I love a deposit match. This is because it gives you more bang for your buck without forcing you to bet all your bonus funds on one stake.
Sports Betting Rules & Restrictions
The laws regarding sports betting and especially online sports betting in South Africa can be confusing. While there has been an attempt at introducing amendments that would simplify laws, these have all been shot down. The good news however, is that while it is confusing, the bottom line is that online sports betting in South Africa is 100% legal. Though with that being said, there are three restrictions you need to remember.
- Restricted to users 18+ — In South Africa, gambling is limited to users 18 or older. This means that until you turn 18, you are not allowed to place a bet, nor are you able to create an account or grab a bonus.
- Can only play at licensed South African betting sites — One thing that the laws do make very clear is that residents of South Africa are only permitted to use and gamble with sports betting sites that have acquired the proper licensing to operate in South Africa. This means no offshore gambling.
- Restricted to permanent residents of South Africa — Playing at gambling sites in South Africa is only for permanent residents of South Africa. So if you’re just visiting South Africa or are on a short-term visa, you are not permitted to gamble online.
Certain rules are also tied to SA betting bonuses too. These vary per sportsbook bonus but usually involve the following:
- Wagering requirements
- Minimum odds
- Maximum odds
- Minimum deposit
- Maximum stake
- Bonus validity period
Keeping an eye on the above ensures you not only grab the best ZA betting bonuses but also turn them into real money you can cash into your eWallet or bank account.
SA Sports Betting Bonuses Strategies & Tips
When it comes to sports, our team are experts. Many of us have been playing since online gambling first became legal in South Africa, and over the years, we’ve learnt what works and what doesn’t. In this section, we’ll cover some of our top tips regarding sports betting bonuses.
- Consider playthrough requirements — Whenever you’re considering accepting a bonus, you should always check out the terms & conditions, especially the playthrough requirements. Playthrough requirements (sometimes referred to as wagering requirements) determine how many times you need to bet your bonus before it becomes withdrawable.
- Don’t stake too much on one bet — Bonus cash is great. But just because it’s free money, that doesn’t mean you should use it all willy-nilly. Treat bonus money like real money and you’ll find that when it’s time to withdraw, you’ll get much more cash. And a key part of gambling responsibly is ensuring you never stake more than 10% of your bankroll on one bet.
- Use odds boosts — While perhaps not the most exciting bonus on its own, the secret of odds boosts is that they can be used with other bonuses. Plus, they’re one of those bonuses with no downside. Just apply to a stake you’re interested in and what the odds inflate.
- Do your research — This tip not only applies to sports betting with bonuses, but also to betting in general. One of the big advantages of sports betting compared to other forms of gambling is just how many resources there are out there. Before placing a bet, do your research. Look at the team’s injury list, consider form, consider the venue — then, when it’s time to bet, you’ll have the information you need to make an informed decision.
Betting Regulations in South Africa
All gambling in South Africa is regulated by the National Gambling Act of 2004. An amendment was published in 2008, but it hasn’t actually come into effect yet due to objections. As far as online sports gambling is concerned, the amendment won’t make too much of a difference as it’s mainly concerned with online casino games and online poker. Instead, when it comes to online sports gambling, everything is pretty straightforward and legal so long as the site you are playing at has acquired the proper licensing, and you are a permanent resident of South Africa aged at least 18 years old.